Saturday, November 27, 2010

This website deserves its own special post.

Black People Love Us 

Here's why I like it:

Because I did not grow up in Santa Cruz.













I grew up in Sacramento, the Oak Park neighborhood in particular.










And the stuff that comes out of the mouths of these Santa Cruz residents astounds me.
It is the epitome of the unconscious racism of privileged white people.

And it grates on my nerves. I can't imagine being black and having to deal with it.

Like, greeting a black person you happen to have a context with (say, work) with "Hey, homey!"

Or the ever-so-obnoxious touch/pet/etc. of a black person. Is this a friendly gesture? Because it's coming across like an invasive intrusion of personal space. Would you do this:














Or, dear Lord, the fucking fist bump. Or whatever you call it.

And no. You will never-
never ever ever ever ever ever
have a good excuse to use the "n" word.
Not even if you marry a black person.
Not even if you go to Africa and donate all your organs.

And certainly not if your quoting a Dave Chappelle skit to a group of people.


I can't quite put it into words, the subtly pervasive racism that I see everyday here in this town, a town that prides itself on being so "worldly" and open and inclusive.

At least when a bigot comes at you, you know what your dealing with and can prepare yourself.
But here, I see white fumbling over themselves to be-friend the token black guy.

Why is that a bad thing? --You ask.

Let me tell you why, because they're not befriending the person, they're befriending the color of the skin and all the stereotypes they are assuming about the person based on those stereotypes.

They're befriending the one black person at the party (or whatever) because they are going to be able to parade they're black person around like a trophy

No comments:

Post a Comment