Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Famous People From Home (916)

I don't view my hometown origin as a liability; I see it as an asset. 
It plays a big part in who I am.

From Oak Park

Kevin Johnson 

current Sacramento Mayor, NBA star

Diego Corrales

Boxing Champion (deceased) 

From Sacramento At Large

 

Notable residents

Notable people with ties to Sacramento include Rodney King, whose beating by police (caught on film) sparked the Los Angeles riots of 1992, Los Angeles public health "czar" Kim Harrison Eowan, designer architect Ray Eames, retired USMC Lieutenant General John F. Goodman, painter Wayne Thiebaud, photographer Michael Williamson, videographer Justin Carter, philosopher Cornel West, author J. Maarten Troost, astronaut Stephen Robinson, U.S. Supreme Court justice Anthony Kennedy, record producer Charlie Peacock, war hero Colonel Greg Reilly and writer Joan Didion. Journalist Mary K. Shell, the mayor of Bakersfield from 1981–1985, and her husband, the then petroleum lobbyist Joe Shell, lived in Sacramento during the 1970s.
In addition to Huntington, Hopkins, Stanford, and Crocker, the city's more successful entrepreneurs have included Russ Solomon (Tower Records), Frank Fat, and Sherwood "Shakey" Johnson (Shakey's Pizza).

 don't know these guys, but I watch it every time I get homesick- for the Sac-town I REMEMBER.

For the record though,I was never gang-affiliated- whether it was O.P. Crips, Garden Boys, Bloods, Nortenos, whatever. Rocker white girls get to bypass all that. ha.


No comments:

Post a Comment